Saturday 3 March 2018

Winter thrushes


Life is hard for the birds in this weather, with every waking moment spent trying to find food.  This especially true for the thrushes whose natural food is covered by the lying snow.  There have been more blackbirds in the garden this week than I can ever remember.  I counted a whole pieful in one go.





I have been putting out apples for the blackbirds and they have also attracted redwings.





I saw one fieldfare, briefly.  It came late in the afternoon when the apples had all gone but it didn't stay.  I put out more apples, hoping it would return for a better photo but if it did I didn't see it so this was all I managed.



I heard a mistle thrush in the trees but it didn't come down to the food.  I think mistle thrushes prefer berries but there are no berries left in the garden.  I also saw a couple of song thrushes.  I think they are often in the woodland part of the garden and under the hedges but I don't usually see them near the house.


This one was pleased to find a snail.  I saw another this afternoon eating a piece of apple but it was too far away for a photo.


Of all the thrushes I think the redwing is my favourite so here are a couple more.

1 comment:

  1. We've had song thrush on the feeder! Actually feeding from it. Two song thrushes, probably not a pair given their aggressive behaviour towards each other, under the feeder much of the time during the really bad weather.

    ReplyDelete