Saturday 24 August 2019

A walk round the pond - Week 34


I was hoping to see this dragonfly although I could have done with a more co-operative example.  This is a male migrant hawker but it was in an awkward position for a photo.



I also saw a common hawker this week but it was trying to patrol and constantly being chased off by an emperor so I didn't get a useful photo.  I tried a few half-hearted record flight shots and still wasn't confident of the ID until I got home.  The photo is terrible but it is possible to make out the colours, the prominent narrow shoulder stripes and the gold costa (leading edge of the wings).  This time last year I could spot a common hawker from across the pond so I still need to get my eye in.

The emperors are still going strong, with two or three males patrolling and one female ovipositing.  This male was getting his breath back for a few minutes.


Common darters and ruddy darters are still plentiful with lots of mating pairs.


Damselfly species were down to two although I may yet see more blue-tailed damselflies.


There were still plenty of butterflies.  Larger species included red admiral, peacock, and painted lady.  Smaller species were wall,

common blue,

and small heath.

I'll try hard to get a proper photo of the common hawker(s) next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment