Friday 2 August 2019

Look who's back!

The sparrowhawk was here almost every day until about three months ago and then he moved on.  I saw him briefly a couple of weeks ago on his usual perch but I didn't have time to get a photo.  So I set up the camo net and a camera again and kept an eye out for him when I walked past the window.  And then suddenly there he was.  Just like old times.

He looks a bit faded as his feathers have bleached after a whole year in sunlight and he has yet to complete his first moult. He has developed a little bit of gingerish colour in the side breast feathers which will get more marked as he gets older.

Judging by the blood and feather on his beak he had just had his lunch.

And when I checked after he had gone I found the discarded feathers from a kill below his perch.  I hope he returns this winter so I can see him in his smart new adult plumage.  If he is encouraged by this recent success he may be back sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment