Wednesday 21 August 2019

BadgerCam in August


It has been a while since I went after the badgers with the trail cameras.  Badgers are quite hard work and rarely pose properly while facing in the right direction.  If I set up on a well-trodden trail in the woods they may well not show up at all on the night I choose.  This time I put two cameras on what looked like a busy trail fairly near the set.  Each camera had an auxiliary infrared LED so there was a fair bit of kit in a very congested small space.  The cameras are fixed focus and only focus well beyond about 2m which is a limitation as the badgers are often closer than that.  This one I think is fairly young and was happily wandering along the trail when it spotted the LED (to the right as we look at it), and then the camera. After sizing them up it turned around and wandered back the way it had come.  You can see how much the extra lighting improved the picture.



Being a badger is an itchy business.  I expect they have a lot of fleas and ticks, etc in their thick coats and they do spend a lot of time scratching.  It makes me itchy just to watch.




No comments:

Post a Comment