Monday 5 August 2019

Sunbathing in the garden

Well he's been back several times already.  I have seen him make two kills and I expect there have been more.  It is interesting that he flies off with his prey whereas in the winter he used to eat it here.  As there is so much cover in the kitchen garden I wonder if he feels vulnerable to ambush from crows, magpies and so on.  In between kills he has found time for a bit of sunbathing.



He also does his familiar stretching exercises.


Once that is all over he is back on alert looking for the next kill.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if he's flying off with his kills to feed chicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it Florence as I don't think he's old enough. This bird is just one year old and still in juvenile plumage. He will moult into adult feathers before the end of this year and may breed next year or the year after. If he does stay locally he will certainly know where to find the food.

      Delete