Saturday 22 September 2018

A walk round the pond - week 38

I reckon I have seen more migrant hawkers this week than in the rest of my life. 



They were sheltering from the wind on the sunny side of a hedge at up to 5 per sq metre but I couldn't get them all in one photo.


I wish I knew where the female migrant hawkers hang out - it isn't anywhere nearby as far as I can see.  
At least the female southern hawkers are a bit more sociable.  This one was hunting near the water and stopping from time to time to have her photo taken.


It intrigues me how often the male southern hawkers rest on dock (Rumex) seed heads.  It may be that they like the texture but I suspect they have a well developed dress sense and appreciate how the dark red sets off their lime green and sky blue colours.


Common darters are still the most numerous dragonflies.


Ruddy darter numbers are dwindling.


Common blue damselflies are no longer common but there are still one or two males around.


Male emerald damselflies develop a coppery patina as they age.  I haven't seen females this week. 

Most of the butterflies now are speckled woods but I did see a male common blue.


It must have been on a favoured perch because this small copper chased it off and immediately replaced it.


I made the final bumblebee walk of the year for the Bumblebee Conservation Trust.   I saw only a few bees and all were common carders (Bombus pascuorum).

On several occasions this year I have flushed a brown hare as I walked around and I did so again.  It ran off but stopped at a safe distance to see what I was up to.  It then decided I was up to no good and lolloped away.



When it had gone I investigated where it had appeared from and found its hiding place (known as a form).  It looks well used so I'll have to watch out for it next time.

All these photos were taken earlier in the week before the storm and the later cooler and wetter weather.  Now the autumn equinox is here it will be interesting to see what changes occur.  My plan is to keep going until the end of the dragonflies' season.

No comments:

Post a Comment