Monday 17 September 2018

Latest publications

When I was at work it was a big thing to get research work published.  Since retiring I have made no effort to publish my photos but the main point of taking them is to share them so other people can see them, hence this blog, my Flickr page, etc.  I do get a few requests, mainly for calendars and the like, but I have had a few others which have lead to two publications in the past week.  The first was a male sparrowhawk on the cover of North East Nature, the bulletin of the Natural History Society of Northumbria.

Unfortunately, due to a an administrative error in their office, they used the wrong image, one I had sent a year or so before for their website.  Below is the photo they asked for, of a juvenile male, which I had sent for the cover and provided a caption for.  If you know of anyone who wants a good photo for a magazine cover just let me know.

The second photo was used in Discover, an American popular science magazine.  It shows a male early bumblebee (Bombus pratorum) robbing a comfrey flower and was used for the contents page and a double spread leading an article on how animals cheat the system.


This is the original so it is interesting to see how they used it.  I like the arch of the leaf over the flower and the bee and might have kept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment