Monday 24 September 2018

The hornet whisperer

I am a fearless superhero, or so I was telling everyone.  I found this hornet looking sorry for itself and, identifying it as a male, I picked it up, knowing that the male doesn't have a sting.  It walked around on my hands for 20 minutes or so, seeming to enjoy a bit of warmth and shelter, before I put it onto the banana feeder.  Even at the time something didn't look quite right but it was only when I got home and looked closely at the photos that I realised it was a female worker and did have a sting!  It just goes to show how gentle and non-aggressive hornets are.  In my defence I haven't yet seen a male - I knew they have long droopy antennae but I now know they have very long, very dark, very droopy antennae.  I'll keep my eyes open for them as they should be out and about very soon.  I may even be brave enough to pick one up.





No comments:

Post a Comment