Saturday 25 May 2019

A walk round the pond - Week 21


This week there were many mature male large red damselflies and lots of mating pairs.

I also saw several mature male common blue damselflies.

There were several azure damselflies, all in immature colouring.

A new species for the season was a blue-tailed damselfly.  This is an immature female of the form violacea.

After last week's sighting I saw another dingy skipper.

This one adopted a typical skipper posture with its wings folded on top of each other, something I haven't seen before in this species.


A new sighting for the site was a Mother Shipton moth.

This photo was taken close up with flash with my little Panasonic TZ90.

On the way out I came across an acrobatic mating pair of flies, the female of which seemed more intent on enjoying her lunch!  This is the Canon 7D with a 300mm lens.

And this is the TZ90 with flash from very close up.

So no dragonflies this week but I am optimistic for next week if the weather is OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment