Saturday 2 March 2019

Waking up early

The recent warm weather has had an effect on a lot of wildlife, including adders which emerged from hibernation a couple of weeks ago.  When I arrived to see them, about 30 minutes after sunrise, there was none about but a few minutes later I saw this one.

It was only when it moved that I realised the coils it was resting its head on belonged to another snake.  I had seen one front end and one tail end and assumed it was all the same (very long!) snake.


As I walked along I saw more and more, at least 12 in all but it gets difficult to keep count after a while.  Here are a few more photos.








And a few more portraits.  Adders have markings that are individually identifiable (to an expert).




This one, for instance, has a W behind its eye.

Once you look closely you can see they are all different.


It isn't always easy to tell males from females at this time of year, before they have sloughed off their old skins.  Males generally emerge up to a month before the females but I think this one might be a female, but then it might just be dusty.  Females are larger, browner and have shorter tails.


This one is smaller and is bright and shiny and is definitely a male.


Some were stretched out to take the sun.



Others stayed tightly coiled.




Some were very shy and all I could see was this.



By mid morning they had all warmed up nicely and slithered off to do whatever it is that adders do at this time of year, which isn't much.  I'll be back to see them in a month or so when they have changed into their new skins.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see so many adders and how different they are. Adder “W” seems to have an adoring little mouse giving him a peck on the opposite cheek!

    ReplyDelete