Tuesday 5 March 2019

More from OtterCam

A couple of weeks ago I had two or three cameras in for seven consecutive nights and recorded otters on every camera on every night.  The cameras are set to record video but do allow frame grabs, although these were less impressive than they have been with the foxes.


The best of the videos were recorded earlier in the week and were posted previously.  Most of the later recordings showed one otter at a time searching for food or eating.  Here is an example.



Although the videos were generally good quality the still camera didn't manage much.  It is really tricky to get the otter in the right place, facing the right way.  These two were the best of the bunch.  From its shape I think this is the mother.

This one is probably a pup.

All the cameras recorded lots of rat pictures as well.  I'll spare you the videos but here are a couple of stills.


Although we are sometimes lucky enough to see an otter during the day, all the recent recordings were during night time.  I am encouraged by this recent experience and plan to use the cameras a couple of nights every month to see what the otters are up to.  If I see anything interesting I'll post it here.

1 comment:

  1. Your Otter photos are certainly more impressive than my one (... some of an Otter!) - loving your mini Otters too ;-)

    ReplyDelete