Wednesday 26 December 2018

End of year favourites - Mammalia

I have been feeding the foxes in the garden all year.  The first usually arrives soon after dark, before 5 o'clock at this time of year.  Mostly they get peanuts unless there is a squirrel or something else tasty available.  I don't often put out the trail cameras but the foxes don't seem to mind when I do.


We had some snow in March which improved the lighting and meant I could photograph the foxes with a normal camera.  Both these are frame grabs from video.


This year I had my first cub visiting the garden.  In high summer he, and the others, would arrive before dark, again allowing a few photos with a proper camera.


Badgers in the nearby woods have been a bit elusive this year.  I have had many blank nights with the cameras but every now and then I strike lucky.


I had roe deer in the garden for the first time when I left the gate open for them in February.  They usually eat the ivy from the outside of the fence each winter, when there is nothing else left to eat, so I let them in to eat the ivy inside and was rewarded with these photos.




In May I saw my first newborn roe deer fawn in the woods nearby.  It was so young it could barely stand so I took a couple of photos and left it in peace.

Red squirrels are still hanging on locally, despite the relentless advance of the American greys.  This one was in County Durham. 

And best of all, this one was in Gosforth Park Nature Reserve, only a mile from here.

I have seen hares regularly at my local pond when looking for dragonflies this year but I never managed a photo.  This one was in Northumberland in the spring when I was looking for adders.  A bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment