Saturday 23 June 2018

A walk round the pond - week 25


There was a new arrival at the pond this week.  I saw several newly emerged emerald damselflies (Lestes sponsa). They are also known as common spreadwings as, unusually for damselflies, they rest with their wings outspread.



Most of those I photographed were females but this one is an immature male - he has very similar colouring to the females but will develop powder blue pruinescence on the thorax and abdomen when he matures.  This one doesn't have its wings spread.

Four spotted chasers and emperors were both present but as it was a cloudy and breezy afternoon they were not very active.

I was surprised to see a pair of mute swans on the pond this week.  Two were there on my first visit in week 13 but, having built a nest, they then disappeared.  I don't know if this is the same two.



I think the swans are causing some consternation to the Canada geese - maybe the ponds are not big enough for both to breed in the same season.  The goslings have grown up a lot in just a week and are now beginning to show their adult colours.


I hear lesser whitethroats every time I visit but this time I also managed to catch a glimpse of one.

A new butterfly this week was a ringlet.  Male and female are apparently almost identical in appearance.


I saw a female common blue for the first time although this one is a bit tatty.  She would probably say the same about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment