Saturday 6 April 2019

ShrewCam


There are several log piles and one large pile of stones in my little patch of woodland, put there especially for things to live in them.  Mostly I don't get to see what goes on but I was intrigued by this gap between the stones and wondered who lived there.  So I set up a trail camera and scattered a few sunflower seeds outside.  And the first animal out was a common shrew (Sorex araneus).  Although shrews are said to be carnivorous this one obviously likes seeds as well.

In the video at the bottom I have put together several very brief clips recorded yesterday.  They are at normal speed - it is just that shrews do everything at high speed.  When this one runs back in it goes so fast that its feet are off the ground.  Not surprising as shrews are on the menu for owls, kestrels, foxes, stoats and weasels.

I am not sure it is all the same animal as the one in the later clips has a short dark line on either side.  I wonder if these might be scent glands as the same mark is present in the shrew photos in my only previous shrew post, although I didn't notice at the time.

Anyway, here is the video.



The videos are recorded on a Wingscapes Birdcam Pro.  It has an adjustable focus but the depth of field is small at close range.  It also has a preview screen but that isn't any use for setting up when the camera is so close to the ground.  It took a few attempts and some trial and error to get the positioning and focus right.  While doing so I also got views of a wood mouse and a bank vole using the same entrance but they weren't good enough to use.  I'll keep trying and if I get better videos of either of those I'll post them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment