Monday 8 April 2019

A welcome return

Last week I heard a familiar sound that has so far been absent from the garden this year - the cheep of a tree sparrow. Not before time these two were busy checking out the available accommodation.


It looks as though they may have some competition.


As I suspected might happen, the sparrowhawk has been here less often in the past couple of weeks and I haven't seen him since last Tuesday.  The kitchen garden feeder is busy again and finches and woodpeckers are now brave enough to use it.  Here is the latest sparrowhawk photo.

I didn't realise until I looked up the data on the BTO Garden BirdWatch site that sparrowhawks generally leave gardens at this time of year and sightings drop by up to 50%.  So maybe I won't see him again for a while.  If that is the case I hope he comes back in full adult plumage next winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment