Friday 19 April 2019

New red mason bees

After weeks of cold easterly winds it was warm and sunny today and this afternoon I saw the first red mason bees (Osmia bicornis) of the year.  I spotted a male investigating the holes I had drilled in three dead sycamores by the front door.  I ran for the camera and when I returned there was a female just emerging from hole she had been investigating. You can see the two horns on her face which she will use to fashion the mud she uses to build the cells in her nest.

I saw at least two females and three males.  This female has pollen on her face.

This one is investigating a hole as a potential nest.

Here is a male having a brief rest.  He has no horns but has a handsome white moustache.

This one is checking out a hole, hoping to find a female.

In previous years I have always seen the males emerge first and today is much earlier than the last two years.  I don't know where these bees have come from as the holes in the house wall are still sealed and the cocoons in the bee house are still intact.  I expect those bees will be out in the next two or three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment