Monday 23 July 2018

A new butterfly


I don't go chasing butterflies but I have been keeping an eye out for these.  They are white-letter hairstreaks (Satyrium w-album) and have been seen on a couple of wych elms at the edge of Gosforth Park Nature Reserve for the past three weeks or so.  I have looked for them each time I visited but had never seen one until yesterday morning.

White-letter hairstreak caterpillars feed exclusively on elm trees so the population suffered greatly when Dutch elm disease wiped out most of the trees 40 years ago.

The white letter is a 'W' on the underwings and white-letter hairstreaks always rest with their wings closed.  I think these are all females - they were walking through the leaves looking for places to lay their eggs and have slightly longer "tails" on the back of the wings.


No comments:

Post a Comment