Monday 2 July 2018

Spring-cleaning hornets


This was an unexpected find while I was looking for damselflies in Northamptonshire and led to me seeing more hornets in an hour than I have before in my life.  I had first noticed a tree bumblebee nest in a hole in an old wall and while I was watching a hornet came out of another hole 20cm lower down, carrying a mouthful of rubbish.  It was a worker and was presumably clearing out the nest hole in the wall to allow the colony to expand.  The hornet dumped the rubbish and turned and went back inside.



More rubbish followed.


Other hornets were coming and going.



I couldn't see whether returnees were carrying anything because they went inside too quickly.  I expect they were probably bringing back chewed wood pulp for nest building or prey for feeding larvae.


Hornets are very handsome insects and have amazing wrap-around C-shaped dark brown eyes.  (A common wasp's eyes are the same shape but are somehow less noticeable.)

Hornet numbers build up over the summer and peak in early autumn so I'll watch this nest with interest and expect to see more hornets each time I visit.

Until last week I thought hornets were confined to the southern half of the UK but, having seen one only 2km from here, I am hoping eventually to see them in my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment