Saturday 19 May 2018

A walk round the pond - week 20


The season is progressing quickly after the recent warm weather.  This week there were dozens of large red damselflies including many mating pairs.

The common blue damselflies

and azure damselflies now have mature colouration.

There was another new species this week, the blue-tailed damselfly.  This is a mature male.

I think these are immature males.  Note the two-coloured wing spots.


Female blue-tailed damselflies come in five different colours.  I have seen all five at the pond in previous years so I'll try to find them again in coming weeks.

There were a lot more four-spotted chasers than last week, doing what chasers do - chasing and resting.  They are easier to photograph when they rest.


I can now see that the little grebes have four chicks.

It is interesting that they return to the nest.  The chicks are not yet able to fly or to feed themselves but they know to dive at the first sign of danger.


The Canada goslings are growing fast.

There are still eight of them but it is difficult to get them all in the same frame.  Here are seven.

Other birds I saw included coots and moorhens.  I don't know what this was all about but the moorhen came out the winner.



I saw a nomad cuckoo bee as I was leaving.  I am not sure which species it is as the tricoloured ones aren't so easy to separate.

I also saw this little beast which is probably a parasitic wasp of some kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment