Wednesday 30 May 2018

White-faced darter


This is the white-faced darter (Leucorrhinia dubia), one of England's rarest resident dragonflies.  It is found at a few isolated sites in Shropshire and Cumbria and is also found in the Scottish Highlands.  I took these photos at Foulshaw Moss in South Cumbria which has a small population translocated from another site in North Cumbria a few years ago. White-faced darters rest in scrub and trees but I visited on a very windy day and could only find them on the boardwalks, where they presumably found more shelter.  The males have rather dramatic red and black colouring with a white face and, away from the boardwalks, they are superbly camouflaged.





The only females I saw were in mating wheels.  They are yellow and black, also with a white face.


These were the only two I could see away from the boardwalk but the bog and scrub is mainly inaccessible.

I expect I shall call in again one day to try for a few photos in a more natural setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment