Tuesday 6 June 2023

A surprise in the meadow

I have been caught out a few times before so I always check the coast is clear before I put out food for the foxes.  This time I looked through the kitchen window and thought the fox was here early.  Then I looked closer and saw this.


There was just time to grab the camera for a couple of shots before the buck moved out of view. I don't know how long it has been here or even if it is still here.  The top of the garden is pretty overgrown, deliberately left wild for things to live in, but I wasn't expecting a roe buck.  I am not even sure how it got in.  In previous years I have left the gate open for the deer in late winter or early spring but they have always left in early morning.  It would be possible for a roe deer to jump the 4ft gate but there isn't much of a run up.  The lowest fence is 4ft as well but it is nearly all overgrown with hedges.  If the buck stays I hope it doesn't eat too much of my meadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment