Tuesday 13 June 2023

Fox News

My local foxes last featured on the blog in February.  Back then a new alpha pair had taken over the territory.  One was very pale and the other richly coloured and I hadn't worked out which was which (and in fact I guessed wrong).  Their routine was different and they weren't turning up early which meant that the rats were getting to the food first so I stopped feeding.  A couple of weeks ago I saw a fox trotting down the drive at dusk so I decided to try feeding again.  The two foxes are now both keen and often arrive before it is dark.  The blonde is clearly the alpha female and she is obviously feeding cubs.  Her colour and her torn ear make her very easy to recognise.



The dog fox is more richly coloured and has no obvious marks or scars.  He is a much more relaxed character than the previous dog and will often lie down to eat.



On the couple of times I have seen them together the dog has been unwilling to share (notice the tail curl in the photo which means keep off).  The female either sits and waits or goes away to come back later.

The vixen is usually here first.  Two nights ago she was here well before sunset allowing me a few photos in natural light.




The previous fox family included various different relatives over the two or three years but so far this year I have seen only these two.  My hope is that they will be joined here by their cubs later this month.  

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant photos! How lucky you are to have such access to these beautiful animals

    ReplyDelete