Friday 9 June 2023

Rescue mission

We were supposed to be counting bees but I got a bit distracted by dragonflies (it happens). Then I was more distracted by something in the water.  As I wondered what it was it started swimming towards me and I realised it was a bat.  I think it was swimming batstroke.


When it reached the bank I reached down to scoop it out.  It was soaked through and was happy to sit on my hands at first, before climbing up my shirt.


The bat seemed healthy but was wet through and was not inclined to fly.  When it had dried out a bit I put it on the trunk of a large oak tree and it climbed steadily, eventually going up out of sight. My hope is that it was warm and dry enough and high enough to fly, although it may have decided to wait for dark.


Having read it up since I got home I am not sure I should have released it.  I found advice about grounded or lost bats on the Bat Conservation Trust website, although I don't think this one was in either of those situations.  

I didn't know bats could swim but then most, perhaps all, mammals can.  It is unusual for a bat to be out in the middle of a sunny afternoon but it can happen if it is hungry.  Although I didn't see it flying I wonder if this one was hunting over the pond and made a misjudgement to crash into the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment