Saturday 20 June 2020

The emperor and the empress


Here is something I haven't seen before.  I have seen lots of male emperor dragonflies and several females but until this morning I had never seen a mating pair.  They stayed in a mating wheel for 12 minutes, giving me plenty of time to take a few photos and a short video.  I also had time to experiment with different compositions and depths of field.  I think I prefer the shallow depth of field, the last of of these four which are at f/11, f/8, f/7.1 and f/4.




I tried a video with my Canon camera but with a 300mm lens it is too heavy for hand-held video.  This was shot on my little Panasonic TZ90.



Eventually they separated and the female flew off to powder her nose before getting down to the serious business of egg laying.  The male rested for a few minutes to get his breath back and then went back on patrol in the hope of striking up another liaison.

No comments:

Post a Comment