Monday 2 September 2019

Fox News


The dog fox turned up a couple of nights ago looking so smart that I almost didn't recognise him (not something that has ever been said about me).  I haven't seen him for two or three weeks and back then he was still very scruffy after moulting.  Now he has a beautiful red coat which looks almost as smooth as the cubs' coats.  I expect he will go grey again as we head into winter.


The cubs are growing up fast and the family dynamic has changed.  I now usually see only one or two cubs together, never more than three, and they are much more wary of each other.  The cub on the left is offering a submissive gesture to the newcomer.


This one does the same but carries on eating, knowing that it has already eaten all the good bits.

The foxes also turn up later, even though it gets dark earlier, so I only ever see them after dark.


The cubs' teeth are now strong enough to cut through chicken bones.




I tried an extra light (a portable rechargeable work light) earlier in the week.  It improved the lighting but the foxes were very suspicious of it - they don't like anything new.



The cubs' relationship with their father has changed.  They no longer run to greet him when he arrives and watch warily when he is in the garden.  I have seen him strut across the garden with his tail held vertically like a flag and then scent-mark on the drive lights.  I reckon he is trying to tell them it will soon be time to move on from his territory.  Because they aren't easy to identify individually and because they come and go in ones and twos it is impossible to tell how many of the famous five are still around, although dispersal doesn't usually start before September.  If he does throw them out I shall miss them when they are gone.

Although I live in the city, from the foxes' point of view this is effectively a rural habitat.  I think the dog will not want any male cubs to stay around.  (Urban fox families more commonly contain subordinate non-breeding males.)  Earlier in the year there were two vixens in the family - one the cubs' mother and one probably an offspring from a previous year.  I haven't seen them recently.

3 comments:

  1. As always, I find your fox reports a special treat. Lovely, well focused portraits! I'm always a bit taken aback when these sweet looking little animals show no mercy in establishing pecking order and territorial rights. Survival of the fittest rules. I also follow, via YouTube, the many fox cub rescues by Britain's Wildlife Aid Foundation. Even the very young ones are courageously feisty when handled. Regards, Florence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting that the dog fox's markings have persisted after moulting so he is very easily recognised. The cubs are impossible really. I think there may have been three males and two females, judging on size and behaviour, but that it only a guess. If and when the dog fox pushes then out it will be difficult to tell as they are arriving much later and only one or two at a time. I'll continue watching and maybe use the trail cameras a bit more to see what goes on in the night. I expect you have also come across Marc Baldwin's website. If not, have a look at https://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/animals/species/red-fox.

      Delete
  2. Thanks very much for the wildlifeonline link Christopher. I'm reading it with interest. Quite the history of the brisk trade in 'bagged foxes' to supply the old fox hunting sport!

    ReplyDelete