Wednesday 17 July 2019

DeerCam in Somerset

My sister Cherry has badgers, deer and rabbits in her garden which have been a constant nuisance over the years as they raid the vegetables.  She and her husband John have solved the problem this year by building a 2m high fence all around the kitchen garden.  When I went to stay in Somerset recently I took a couple of trail cameras, hoping some of the local wildlife was still around despite being kept out of the vegetables.  The badgers didn't show up that night (perhaps they are sulking because they can't get at the strawberries) but I did get pictures of a roe buck and a doe. The buck has a particularly impressive set of antlers.  He also has a couple of chunks missing from his right ear.  When I have seem similar ears in other mammals the injuries have come from biting during fighting.  I am not sure how his ear came to look like this - possibly from rival's antlers in jousting during the rut.  Whatever the cause it makes him easy to identify.




There was one doe on the cameras as well.



Cherry met the doe in the orchard a few days later and even had time to go back to the house to fetch a camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment