Wednesday 3 July 2019

And then there were four

I was watching the three cubs by the back door when the two larger ones suddenly became alert and stared into the wood.

I sensed what was coming and a fourth cub bounded in to join them!

There was then a lot of pushing and shoving as they jostled for position although the smallest cub kept out of it.

Here is a short video.



Eventually things settled down a bit.



Although there was plenty of food they were still quite competitive.  Here is another short video to show what they were up to.  The second cub from the left seems to be the main troublemaker but I can't tell whether it was the last to join them or one of the first three.



Later they were very settled and happy in each others' company.



I never quite got them lined up as I would have liked - it is a good job I am not a wedding photographer.



The Mammal Society website says red fox litters in the UK average four or five cubs so I expect I have seen them all. I'll keeping watching, however, hoping for a fifth cub.  I think the family group is seven individuals - the dog fox, two vixens (one being the cubs' mother), and four cubs.  The most I have seen together is five and the most in one photo is four but I'll keep trying to get them all in one shot.  If I manage that you can be sure I'll post it here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! What a family of little beauties! Their jostling over food behaviour reminds me of young skunks that mostly block and push with their hind quarters when feeding from a dish. Your fox youngsters look in wonderful condition.

    ReplyDelete