Thursday 10 August 2017

This week's walk round the pond

I wrote last week that I thought I had seen the last emperor of the season but this week there was one still flying.  As soon as I arrived at the pond I could see a vivid electric blue male on patrol.  Every time the sun went in he disappeared so I didn't manage a photo.  While I was watching and willing him to rest within camera range I heard a noise at my feet.  And there was a female southern hawker, so close that I had to step back before I could get a photo.


She was hidden in the grass but then flew a couple of metres away into the pond although she was still facing the wrong way.



Not far away was a male black darter - the first I have seen there this year.  It was a cool day so he was wearing a furry jacket to keep warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment