Thursday 23 March 2017

Blue tit through a macro lens

I don't know what this was all about.  When I noticed this blue tit in the gooseberry bush it was hanging upside down from a branch and I thought it might be trapped.  Before approaching it I grabbed a camera (as you do).  I couldn't see any sign that it was stuck but it didn't fly away as I got nearer.

I went to change the camera for a shorter lens and when I got back the blue tit was the right way up.


I was using a 100mm macro lens and I could get this close.



As it wasn't trapped I just watched and eventually it flew to a nearby perch.  Even then it sat and watched me and didn't seem perturbed.

Eventually it flew away, seeming quite normal.  At one stage I was close enough to use the iPhone although the image isn't quite so good as it was in a shady corner.

You can see from the iPhone videos that the bird seems quite relaxed.






The only other thing that occurs to me is that it might have bumped its head on the window and was recovering, but it never seemed stunned.  Whatever the explanation, it needs to be more alert next time in case the sparrowhawk returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment