Thursday 2 June 2016

Nearly ready to fly




The GSW chicks are now peering out of the hole between feeding visits, wondering where their parents have got to. There is only room for one chick at a time so it is not possible to say how many there are.  The first may appear in the garden as early as next week.



On one occasion the male bird turned up with this stuff all over his beak.  I think it must be from a fat ball feeder but the nearest house is about 1km away.  It isn't from mine as I don't have any fat balls in the garden, but I do have at least three pairs of woodpeckers visiting the feeders all the time.




All but one of the feeding visits I observed were made by the male bird.  I don't know why this should be but it was the same last year.  It is possible that the female keeps a low profile or I have just been unlucky.  I'll keep an eye out for her.

Most of the food being brought in is caterpillars and flies, rather than junk food from a garden feeder.


No comments:

Post a Comment