Wednesday 29 November 2023

PineMartenCam

You won't be surprised that as well as my cameras I took a few trail cameras to Ardnamurchan last month.  Although the pine martens were extremely co-operative with normal photography I wanted some video away from the feeding station.  I set up nearby and put out some food (raisins and peanuts) to keep them interested.  Notice how the marten scent-marks the rock as it leaves, something all mustelids do frequently.


I also tried my old Wingscapes Birdcam 2.0 which takes white flash (colour) stills rather than videos at night.  Two martens turned up but were rarely in a good position when the camera fired.



On the last three nights I also tried to get video of a pine marten climbing.  I took with me a stout curvy stick and baited it with strawberry jam and peanut butter.  The first night the stick wasn't high enough and the marten just leaned against it and didn't bother to climb.  The second night was better but I hadn't allowed quite enough room in the field of view for the marten at the top of the stick.



And on the last night there was a bad reflection from one of the other lights on the trail camera lens, plus a bit of spider's web in the way!  It is probably still worth a look as there is a good view of how the pine marten uses its claws.


For much of the time the marten had its back to the camera, whichever way round I had put the branch.  It was a learning process for me and if I return at some stage I shall have plenty of ideas on how to improve the videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment