Sunday 19 November 2023

Fox News

Ever since the blonde vixen was killed 10 weeks ago I have only seen the dog fox in the garden. One cub was here a couple of times but the father didn't seem welcoming and it hasn't been here since.

Then last night some good news.  I was watching the dog eating his dinner,

when he was suddenly aware of something off to his left - on the golf course - and he broke off to watch.

Another fox appeared in the background but I didn't have the right lens to get them both in view at the same time at first.  The new fox was hesitant but eventually it approached.  The dog wasn't welcoming but tolerated the approach (the newcomer is on the left here).

Here the dog is body-blocking and his arched back and curled tail say keep off.

I think the second fox must be his new mate but he wasn't being very gentlemanly.  Here she is on the right.

I hadn't put out much food because I have been seeing only one fox and he made sure he ate it all.  Eventually he left and she came up to check if there was anything left (there wasn't).

Here are the two of them - the dog on the left and the new fox on the right.  They are quite similar in appearance but he has a dark mark on his nose and she is darker around the eyes. She also appears to have darker eyes as well but I'll have to wait to see if that is a reliable distinguishing mark.  Not shown here but he has a large white tag on his tail while hers is smaller.

Tonight I'll put out a bit more food and spread it out a bit.  I'll be watching over the next few nights to see if she turns up regularly and how the two of them get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment