Thursday 9 November 2023

Pine marten portraits


More holiday snaps from Ardnamurchan.  I think these are my favourites, partly because of the planning and imagining that went into them.  I drove up to Scotland with the car loaded with cameras, trail cameras, tripods, lights, chargers, pine marten food, and props for the photos. Two things I included were a hollow tree trunk and a piece of old terracotta drain pipe that I saved from a skip.  After a bit of trial and error over the first two or three nights I managed to tempt a marten in at the far end and through to this end of the tree trunk, using strawberry jam.





Two nights later the trick worked with the pipe.




Pine martens are quick learners and by the last night it had worked out that it didn't need to crawl through the pipe but could come round to this end instead, but at least I already had what I wanted.  Very satisfying.

1 comment: