Sunday 16 May 2021

The tale of the magpie's tail

Like most birds, a magpie should have 12 tail feathers.   I was surprised to find eight magpie tail feathers on the ground below the bird feeders, including all six right-sided feathers and both central feathers (I have rearranged them for the photo!).


At first I thought the magpie might have been attacked by a sparrowhawk but there were no other feathers around. Then I wondered if the feathers had been pulled out in a fight with a crow.  Both birds are regulars under my feeders and they don't get on, particularly at this time of year when they are inclined to eat each others' egg or chicks. A few minutes later two magpies turned up, one with half a tail, and they were chased off by a carrion crow!

The next morning I managed a photo of the magpie while the crow wasn't looking.  It still looks a bit cross.



The magpie's tail will regrow and it seems to be flying fairly normally.  In the meantime I can marvel at the colours in this black and white bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment