Tuesday 25 May 2021

A takeaway on OtterCam

I haven't seen any sign of the otter cubs since their mother took them through the culvert four weeks ago but there has been another interesting observation on the culvert cameras.  This time an otter was carrying a drake mallard and it had its work cut out dragging the prey up the ramp and over the sluice gate.




My hope is this is the mother otter taking food back to the babies.  Last time they were much too small to be out and I am sure they were being moved in an emergency for their safety.  The fact that food is being carried around does suggest they are still safe but I don't expect them to show up on the cameras again until later next month, when they will probably be about six months old.  The culvert cameras have only shown an otter once every three or four days recently which is a big change.  I expect it means there are no others in the territory at present and the mother probably does most of her hunting by fishing in the lake.  I'll post more videos when there is something interesting. 

1 comment:

  1. Another good read Chris with more fantastic footage.

    ReplyDelete