Friday 10 April 2020

WoodmouseCam

This is a short video from last year.  I was surprised to find I haven't posted it here before but I expect I was distracted by all the fox and otter activity last summer.  Last spring I found gap in a pile of stones in the copse that was regularly used by small mammals.  The trail camera recorded bank vole, common shrew and water shrew, all of which I have posted before, but also this wood mouse.  Wood mice are mostly nocturnal and this recording was made during the night.  The surprising thing is that the mouse ignored the sudden bright white LED lights from the Wingscapes BirdCam Pro and carried on eating.  More recently I posted another nocturnal video of a wood mouse recorded on the same camera and again the mouse ignored the lights.




2 comments:

  1. It's remarkable how it ignores the light! As if nothing has happened. Not evolved to detect sudden changes in light intensity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is odd Phil. I have watched a sparrowhawk eating while the lights come on and off every 30s and take no notice. It obviously doesn't register as a threat. Foxes are wary of infrared lights and the otters were spooked initially but came to accept them.

      Delete