Friday 21 June 2019

Another first


You'll have to believe that I don't spend all evening watching out of the window(!) but since I saw four foxes last weekend I have left a camera set up on a tripod just in case.  Last night I glanced out of the window and there were two cubs lying on the lawn munching peanuts.  So I stayed to watch.


One is larger than the other but I think the size of siblings in a litter does vary.



Although I recorded several video clips, they are not very exciting as all the cubs did was chew.  Most of the time they were just lying down.  At one point a vixen came to have a look but then she walked on.

Later the vixen reappeared and the smaller cub ran over to meet her, so I presume she is its mother.  I am amazed that the camera can cope with this almost on the other side of the garden.  (It was recorded at 1/15s with ISO 12,800 whereas all the other photos are 1/60s at ISO 4000.)

Here are the three of them.

By this time the smaller cub was full and was just trotting around the garden so mother came over to see if there was any food left.



The larger cub was still eating the last of the peanuts when I gave up and went to bed.  I'll keep an eye out for them tonight.  Foxes seem to be taking over the blog at the moment.  Maybe I should set up another blog just for them. Trotrogfox perhaps?

1 comment:

  1. I simply love those little cubs! If they were in my yard, I'd just have to watch them for as long as they stayed. Sleep be damned! Such glossy coats and lovely condition. I suppose that since they are likely well fed, competition squabbles are at a minimum. No finer lawn ornaments exist, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete