Saturday 27 October 2018

A walk round the pond - week 43

This feels like the end of the season.  It is cold this weekend and cold weather is set for the next few days at least.  I went to the pond at the beginning of the week and even then I could find only one dragonfly, a solitary male common darter.  He wasn't flying, perhaps he didn't have the energy.


There were no butterflies and no bumblebees.  Despite that, there were still a few flowers, hoping for a late-flying pollinator.




There were also plenty of fruits in the trees and hedges.



The two mute swans were still present and seem to have settled in.  I hope they stay.



The only other animal I saw was a tiny frog, no bigger than my thumbnail.

I think this will be the last in this series of posts on A walk round the pond.  I started in week 13 so that's 31 weeks in a row.  It has been fascinating to watch the changes in and around the ponds over three seasons.  I will continue to visit regularly but I am not sure what to do for next year's blog.  I could just repeat the weekly reports as the weather is likely to be different from this year's cold winter, wet spring and hot summer.  Another idea is to do a monthly report from January to December.  I'll have a think about it.

1 comment:

  1. Thankyou Chris, for this lovely series of photographic reports. It has been enjoyable and fascinating to see the wealth of animal and plant life through seasonal change. I look forward to whatever you decide on for next year.

    ReplyDelete