Tuesday 5 December 2017

Wagtails skating on thin ice

We have had a few cold nights recently with frost and ice on puddles.  On a cold afternoon I noticed this pied wagtail (Motacilla alba) hunting on the ice.

It is a pity I didn't shoot a video as it was struggling to keep its feet.


Then I noticed a grey wagtail (Motacilla) a metre away on the ice.

It was also slip slidin' away, as Paul Simon would say.




I was surprised there was anything there for them to eat.

But then the grey wagtail found an enormous caterpillar.  Quite what that was doing in the ice I don't know.

1 comment:

  1. A chicken ran across in front of our garage the other day. The snow had partially melted and re-frozen. Slip sliding away doesn't do what happened justice! So lovely images as usual, conjuring up even lovelier and funnier ones, thanks Chris!

    ReplyDelete