My Blog List

Friday, 14 August 2026

Close Encounter


I had gone looking for an 11-spot ladybird so I had only a camera with a 90mm macro lens. When I first saw the kestrel sitting on a fence post I assumed I wouldn't be able to get a worthwhile photo but as I moved closer the bird didn't react.  It kept looking up at me but most of the time it was scanning the ground.

Eventually I was standing only one fencepost away, a distance of about 2m, and I was able to take these photos using the ladybird lens.



I thought the bird was looking for small mammals, although there probably wouldn't be any in the parched grass, but then it suddenly dived towards me and caught and ate a black beetle right at my feet, too quick and too close for a photo.  In the time I was watching it caught half a dozen beetles, each time returning to a fence post and each time allowing me to move close again.  I even had time to record some video.  The video has a different aspect ratio from the photos so I found I was too close and had to move back to get the bird in the frame.


You'll see my reactions aren't quite as quick as those of a kestrel!  It is also better at hunting beetles than I am as I never did find the ladybird.

Eventually, after about half an hour, some people came along with a dog and the bird was gone in a flash.  I don't know why it was so comfortable with me standing so close but I felt enormously privileged.

4 comments:

  1. fantastic photography, I need to go on a course! jl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Chris. Keep up the great work. David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks for sharing tose, a special encounter

    ReplyDelete