Tuesday 9 January 2024

Sparrowhawk news


This winter's sparrowhawk is a juvenile.  It is the eighth winter in a row in which a male sparrowhawk has come to sit on this perch outside my window.  In early autumn I got a glimpse and one photo of an adult 
but ever since it has been this first-winter bird.  To start with he was playing hard to get by sitting in the wrong place.


I also saw him under a blackcurrant bush with a kill.

I knew he had been here because on some days almost no sunflower seed was taken from the feeder.  Eventually I was watching at the right time and he sat for quite a while, preening, stretching and fluffing up his feathers.










On another day the sparrowhawk took a kill up to the perch to eat - something I haven't seen before.  I expect it was trying to protect it from a magpie.



1 comment:

  1. (Can't seem to sign in with my Google account) - I'd like to use one of your bee photos in a book, how can I contact you? Paul dot Honigmann at gmail dot c0m

    ReplyDelete