Tuesday 2 January 2024

My meadow year

I haven't written a post about the meadow on this blog before, although it has been mentioned now and then.  I started off by giving up mowing part way through 2019 to see what happened and in the four years since I have cut it once a year in September.  It is about 30m by 20m and is in sun for most of the day.  It has several standing dead and almost dead sycamores and contains a few birches and two large Turkey oaks.  To the north is a small copse of mostly mature sycamores which is left wild and brambly with lots of log piles.

In the first winter I sowed seed of various wild flowers but it was difficult for them to compete with the grass.  Since then I have put in a lot of yellow rattle and used plugs of wild flowers which are becoming established - many of which I raised myself from seed.  In early 2022 I dug a pond so that has now had its second season.

The meadow is wonderful to look at but I find it very hard to photograph.  I have ended up using the phone most of the time and reserving the cameras for close ups.  Here are some phone views from this past year, roughly in date order.

















And a few pictures of some of the inhabitants.  There are plenty of field voles as well, although I don't have any photos.  A kestrel sits on top of the dead trees to watch for them and I expect they are also one reason why the weasels are here.
















The meadow and the pond are a delight and are full of life throughout spring, summer and autumn.  I plan to keep adding to the flowers and may even put in second pond.  I'll try harder with photos in 2024 and will aim to post pictures regularly here.

No comments:

Post a Comment