Sunday 17 December 2023

Bohemian rhapsody


This is already a "Waxwing Winter" with large numbers of these Fennoscandian birds having arrived in the autumn and now being seen right across the country.  When they first appeared I didn't join the throngs of observers as I have photographed them before and even saw them in my garden in my first winter here.  Nevertheless, when I received a tip-off from my friend Tim W about 200 Bohemian Waxwings at the end of my road I thought I should take a look.  I walked along the road about an hour after sunrise yesterday to find no sign of them but within a few minutes the flock turned up.  They sat high in some ash trees and swooped down to the hawthorn berries in the hedge below for 10 minutes or so, then circled a few times before flying off to the east.









I still have plenty of cotoneaster berries so there is a chance they may visit my garden this winter.

1 comment: