Friday 6 October 2023

News from OtterCam

 

The wide-angle lenses on the otter cameras continue to prove their worth and I now have three deployed.  The camera by the water's edge sees the otters as they visit their sprainting spot but also records lots and lots(!) of pictures of baby rats.  The video shows a couple of visits from otters.  The first one appears to have a small injury on its back so these are probably two different animals.


Those two never quite got into the same position in the frame so it isn't easy to compare their size, although from the head shapes I think the first was a male and the second a female.  I did look back at the same camera in one of the videos in my previous post and it is easy to see the larger dog otter (on the right) compared with the female.


I check for footprints on the sluice gate every time I pass.  One set puzzled me recently.  On the left were standard otter prints

but on the right was a very smudged trail.

The camera provided the answer.  The first otter had tobogganed across using only its front feet while the second walked normally.  They were three hours apart and both were very quick so the video is slowed down to 25%.  The second otter looks larger and it is probably the dog again.

No comments:

Post a Comment