Saturday 5 August 2023

Weasily recognised


At last.  It is almost two years since I first set up my small mammal camera box, mainly in the hope of getting video of a weasel.  After a very brief early success there hasn't been another sighting, until now.  The box is sometimes here in the garden and at others is in the local nature reserve.

Earlier this week I set it up again in the garden and in the first three days weasels appeared on seven occasions.  In fact I think there were three different animals because weasels, like many mustelids, can be identified by the different patterns in their fur.

Here are the three in order of appearance.



My small mammal camera box is modelled on a Mostela, designed by Jeroen Mos and used for small mustelid research.  Previously I was using small Victorian clay land drain pipes as entrances but after reading some of Jeroen's research I changed to larger pipes and set the box on the boundary of my copse and meadow.

The first weasel appeared three days in a row.






The second one was larger and is easily identified from the pattern under its chin.  It came and went several times, crossing the box four times in the first clip and twice in the second.



The third weasel seemed a bit more timid and retreated without crossing the box as the others had done.  I have added a ¼ speed replay to the video.


Now I am wondering if there is a family of weasels in the garden so I shall set up more cameras to try to find out.

1 comment: