Sunday 20 August 2023

The weasel wall

I built this wall three or four years ago, between the copse and the meadow in my garden.  It was inspired by Robert Fuller's walls for weasels and stoats in his garden in Yorkshire.  I built it deliberately badly, with gaps and holes and hollows and I built into it a couple of weasel nest boxes, each made from a small plastic storage box with a weasel-sized hole in the end and in the central partition.  I have occasionally seen a weasel in the garden since but I have never previously seen one near the wall, although I haven't often set up a trail camera to watch.  Since finding the weasels in my camera box a couple of weeks ago I have had three other cameras watching the wall.  At least one weasel seems to be around nearly every day but I am not sure whether any of them is living there.  It would be good to think they are living in the nest box.


Weasels hold large territories - up to 50 times the size of my garden - so it is unlikely they are here much of the time.  I have again seen all three individuals in my previous post, one larger than the other two.  I wonder if this is a female with two well-grown kits, rather than a male and two females which seems less likely.  Here one of them visits the camera box next to the wall.


This is one of the smaller weasels in the wall.


This the same animal, not knowing whether it is coming or going.  The whole episode was recorded within one minute.


This is the largest weasel exploring the box.  It doesn't like the smell of my fingers on the camera.  This is also within one minute.


I saw a weasel run across the drive a few days ago when I was standing only about 5m away. Next time I'll try to make some mouse noises in the hope it will stop and look.

1 comment:

  1. Great videos Chris - love the one that doesn’t know if it’s coming or going 😂! Good luck with your mouse noises !

    ReplyDelete