Saturday 29 April 2023

Shieldbugs

Something else to learn about.  While out looking for ladybirds I regularly come across shieldbugs.  My field guide says there are 46 UK species - so, manageable and roughly the same number as ladybirds and dragonflies.  As with most insects, many species aren't found this far north.  Each time I saw one I took a photo so I could look it up later.  If I have the identifications right these are the ones I have seen so far.

Birch Shieldbug (Elasmostethus interstinctus)

Gorse Shieldbug (Piezodorus lituratus)


Green Shieldbug (Palomena prasina)

Hairy Shieldbug (Dolycoris baccarum)

Hawthorn Shieldbug (Acantosoma haemorrhoidale)



Shieldbugs aren't always easy to photograph - those hibernating on gravestones can be tucked away in awkward corners while those out and about on branches can see me and try to hide.

The life cycle of shieldbugs is similar to that of ladybirds.  Adults hibernate over winter and the eggs are laid in late spring.  The nymphs moult through five instars before becoming adults.  This winter I have come across a couple of things that looked like shieldbug nymphs, so perhaps these are late developers or didn't make it to adulthood in time.  I also see hibernating ladybird pupae on gravestones but I don't know if they are viable either.  This is probably a Green Shieldbug nymph next to a Harlequin Ladybird pupa.

This might be a Gorse Shieldbug nymph (Berwick-on-Tweed).

This might be a Gorse Shieldbug or a Hairy Shieldbug nymph (Ponteland).

I have also come across a few things that aren't shieldbugs but look a bit similar, such as this 
Cinnamon Bug (Corizus hyoscyami).

It is amazing how many little beasts there are to find once you start looking.

1 comment:

  1. I do love shieldbugs, such heraldic armour! And the instars have such interesting geometric patterns too.

    ReplyDelete