Sunday 9 April 2023

Early season moths

I haven't previously put out my moth trap this early in the year but there are moths around so I decided to try last weekend.  I caught six moths, much easier to process than the dozens that appear at the height of the summer.  There were three Hebrew Characters,

 two Common Quakers,

and an unidentified micro moth.

The biggest surprise was a black sexton beetle (Nicrophorus humator).  It is the first beetle that has appeared in the moth trap.  It is very large and very smelly!  It uses its magnificent antennae to detect dead animals on which to lay its eggs.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, what was that beetle doing in there?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the first time I have seen one but I am told they are commonly attracted to light.

      Delete