Tuesday 28 March 2023

Holt! Who goes there?

These are not recent pictures but they have not been published before.  A couple of winters ago I had very privileged access to an artificial holt.  It was difficult to get to and I was wary of visiting too often for fear of spooking any otters that might be using it.  In the end I left the camera for a few weeks at a time but found it was mostly filled with recordings of ducks and geese.  It also recorded plenty of passing deer, foxes and badgers but fortunately there were a few otter sightings as well.  The holt wasn't used regularly by otters, but was just an occasional stop-over place.  There were very few daytime recordings but this was one.



Here is a brief montage of four night-time sightings.  In the last one an otter ran into the holt but then heard a rat running overhead and came out immediately to give chase.  I don't know if the pursuit was successful as it didn't return.


I may see if I can put a camera there again one day.  My greater ambition would be to find a natural natal holt with mother and cubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment