Thursday 22 September 2022

Late-season dragonflies

I don't take so many dragonfly photos these days as I already have more than I need.  However, I often carry a camera in case I come across something interesting such as the golden-ringed dragonfly and the emperor eating a darter posted recently.

And sometimes I can't resist so here are a few recent sightings.  First a male southern hawker.

A male black darter.

A male migrant hawker.

A female golden-ringed dragonfly resting after ovipositing.


A female emerald damselfly.

A male emerald damselfly.

A male common blue damselfly.

Common darters.

A female migrant hawker.


A mature male migrant hawker.

An immature male migrant hawker (brown eyes, paler colours).

And finally these two.  Common darters again, male and female, but notable because they were beside my new pond.  The dragonfly season is nearly at an end but with luck I'll have newly emerged common darters in two years' time.

1 comment: